Thursday, November 25, 2004

The Things I'm Thankful For

It's that time of year again. The Holidays are upon us. Tomorrow begins the usual Christmas shopping madness. But that's tomorrow.

Today is a day for remembering the things that matter most to us. In the spirit of this day, I present to you my list of things I am thankful for.

1. I am thankful for my wife. She's beautiful, caring, and intelligent. I have been blessed with her companionship for 7 1/2 years now. She has been there for me, before I knew I was ill, and even more after I discovered my illness. She has done so much to help me through the roughest of times. In a twist of fate, she's sick today and it's been my turn to repay some of the wonderful care she has given me. God has a funny way of reminding us sometimes just how important some things are.

2. I am thankful for each and everyone of our men and women in uniform. You make America proud. We civilians may not always agree with our leadership. In fact, we rarely do. Few Americans, however, can deny how important each and every soldier we have in this great nation is. You are an extension of our liberty, and an extension of ourselves. You have served valiantly. Thank you.

3. I am thankful that the majority of Americans are not left or right wing extremists. Yes, the extremists get more air time, but it is the majority in the middle who makes up the true heart of the great American Republic. Keep standing for America, and she will keep standing for you.

4. I am thankful for the founding father's of America. Men like Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, and George Washington had the foresight to build one of the longest standing democratic nations in the world. We should all strive to be more like them.

5. I am thankful for God, and Jesus Christ. The gift he gave goes beyond words. Though I often rail against organized religions, I never rail against the creator of all that is. Sometimes, the children do not reflect the teachings of the father. We should all strive to be better children.

The list goes on. There are numerous friends and relatives that make up the rest of the list. There are events that changed my life. Some were bad, some were good, but all of them taught me something important.

Finally, I'll leave you with just a small bit of advice that I have found helpful over the years. Seek to understand every person you meet. Put yourself in his or her shoes, and imagine walking a few miles. Sometimes, it'll change the way you perceive your own steps.

Happy Thanksgiving, and God Bless America.