Friday, November 19, 2004

Have You Heard of the Sacred Urns?

Since my last post was about commercials, I couldn't resist this one.

The marketing department over at Sharp has come up with what may very well be the best marketing ploy I've ever heard of to date. In a pitch to get the word out about the new Sharp Aquos line of LCD TV's, they planted the web with several websites referring to Dagobert Steinitz, a fictional anthropologist who claimed to have discovered the ancient, yet far-advanced human species Homo Superus. These super-evolved humans claimed that in 2012, the world would change forever. You can learn more over at Steinitz Puzzlers.

The real game, however, is happening in 2004. Starting Nov. 22, 2004 you could win a complete Sharp Home Entertainment System, including a 45 inch Aquos TV.

I'll be honest, when I first saw the Steinitz Puzzler's site, I thought it was a hoax. The site looks like a cross between a cheesy fiction story and a conspiracy theory page. So I did some research, thinking that perhaps I had an interesting article to toss out to my readers. Then I found the moretosee.com website - which is Sharp's Aquos site. It wasn't until the second visit to Steinitz Puzzlers that I saw the Sharp Aquos link in the upper left-hand corner. Yep, they got me on that one.

Here's the deal - there are tons of clues already released. The final clue, however, won't be released until Nov. 22, when the contest begins. The first person to send in the correct location of the missing 3rd Urn wins.

Think you can handle it? It might be worth a nice LCD TV, if you can beat the other folks who are trying to solve the puzzle. On the other hand, its an entertaining read, even if you don't participate.

Now, why can't they make all commercials like that? Entertaining, interactive, and fun.